John,

I think you are right.  SHM H 2220 does clearly imply that when you are assigning a subject heading to a work ABOUT translations, you have to add a further subdivision after “Translations into German” or whatever.

It then seems unfortunate, then, that there is a subdivision authority for “Translations into French, [German, etc.]” with an $x subfield indicator (sh 99002029).  But I guess maybe that’s an artifact of the way the LCSH database is constructed, rather than an implicit instruction?

Stephen Hearn’s explanation of a possible pre-$v reason for requiring the addition of “History and criticism” or another sub-subdivision after “Translations…” is very interesting.

Yang Wang, where is SHM H 2222?  In Cataloger’s Desktop, I see only H 2220.  There I do not find any statements distinguishing between these two types of headings:

Homer $x Translations into English  (discussion on the technique of translation, per your email)

and

Homer $x Translations into English $x History and criticism (critique of different translations)

Instead, as John noted, H 2220 implies that “$x Translations into English” should not appear without a further subdivision.  Is there actually an H 2222 section?

Thanks,

Pete Wilson

Vanderbilt University