I'd suggest something like this:

670 Guide to manuscripts in the Western History Collections of University
of Oklahoma, 2015, viewed online June 20, 2020: $b page 6 (An 18-page
manuscript diary (1918) by PFC Orvel Alumbaugh of Battery A - 344th Field
Artillery; Alumbaugh was from Whiteoak, Oklahoma) $u
https://lib.ou.edu/documents/OUWHCGuidetoManuscripts2017.pdf

Note also that while "Whiteoak (Okla.)" isn't established, GNIS indicates
there are two "White Oak" populated places in Oklahoma, one in Craig County
and one in Cherokee County. Also, FindAGrave has an entry for Orvel
Alumbaugh, 1893-1985, born in Sullivan County Indiana, and died in Vinita,
Craig County, Oklahoma (
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/64135956/orvel-alumbaugh), who looks
likely to be the same person.

Stephen

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 4:12 PM Shorten, Jay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Are there any special procedures for creating a name from an archival
> source? It’s not practical for me to examine the items. What can I cite as
> the 670? Example: OCLC #187949614 for “Alumbaugh, Orvel”. Will
>
> *670 Finding aid: $b (Orvel Alumbaugh)*
>
> be sufficient?
>

> Jay Shorten
>
> Cataloger, Monographs and Electronic Resources
>
> Associate Professor of Bibliography
>
> Description & Access Department
>
> University Libraries
>
> University of Oklahoma
>
> Co-ordinator, Oklahoma (Tornado) NACO Funnel
>
> Co-owner, PERSNAME-L, the list about personal names in bibliographic and
> authority records

Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota
170A Wilson Library (office)