I was not going to reply to this thread at all, but decided to reply to this. I'm writing as an ARSC member, and NOT speaking for the Board.

Kurt's letter (Op-Ed, whatever you want to call it) was in response to the proposed new DEI policy currently being evaluated by the ARSC membership. As such, his letter had as much right to be in the bulletin as any other member's. That platform is also open to you if you so desire.

I don't agree with Nauck's letter in any way. Nor do many ARSC members. Nor did it speak for the Board, as Rebecca stated. But IMHO, the Board's job is NOT to regulate members' opinions. We're all adults here, and most of us are Americans. We're supposed to be protective of free speech, including speech we don't like. Our OBLIGATION as Americans is to not be afraid of it, and to respond to it in kind with our own speech.

So submit your rebuttal to the editor, as people do every day in newspapers. Or tell Kurt directly how you feel. Whatever you feel best gets your point across. And hopefully, we can all come to a resolution that lifts ARSC up to a better place that is more inclusive, responsive and respectful of ALL voices, which is something that has been lacking lately. And in that regard, I fully support Rebecca's efforts.

Jeff Willens