Paul Stamler writes:
"The late Walter Cronkite [...] as a visible and ptominent journalist never
publicly endorsed a candidate, and that's proper.

"But he was a member of an organization, the Screen Actors Guild labor
union, which was and is part of the AFL-CIO, and the AFL-CIO has
endorsed candidates and taken public positions since I was a kid, with
no censure descending on Mr. Cronkite or any of his colleagues. Print
journalists, some of them, belong to the American Newspaper Guild,
another union which is part of the AFL-CIO."

My response:
ARSC is not a labor union representing the journalists at my company.  We do not have a labor union, but we do have a Standards and Practices division.  I have taken this matter to them.  They have said that I may remain a member of ARSC, so long as I had nothing to do with the statement from the Board, and do not serve on the Board.  It was also key that I publicly made a statement distancing myself from the Board's statement.  Further, Walter Cronkite was a very powerful figure at CBS; the managing editor of CBS News.  I am a mere news writer.  What Walter thought was good for Walter was good enough, but I am bound by the ethics that my own news organization holds me to.

Paul Stamler writes:
"Mr. Jones is entirely free to decide not take a stand on matters of
public controversy; that's his constitutional right. But for him to
further state that he cannot ethically be a member of an organization
which takes such positions is an exaggeration, and simply not true."

My response:
I am not allowed to speak publicly about controversial matters that we cover.  The issues raised in the Board's statement are incredibly controversial.  My statement distancing myself from the Board's words is likely key for me to be able to remain an ARSC member.  I will have to alert Standards to any future statements that may touch on news events that we cover.

Sammy Jones