Hi Lucas and all,

I’m from the Chinese University of Hong Kong Library.  Maybe I can provide some justification for name of Chung Chi College here.

1.  Chinese University of Hong Kong. Chung Chi College (n 50066667)

As the official language of instruction and communication of the University is bilingual (English and Chinese), agree that “Chinese University of Hong Kong. Chung Chi College” is more preferable than “Chinese University of Hong Kong. Chong ji xue yuan”.

2.  Chong Ji shu yuan (Hong Kong, China) (n 50066682)

I’ve just checked the item quoted in 670: “崇基校刊” (= “Chong Ji xiao kan” in Chinese, no. 1, Dec 1951).  On the cover page the name of College is presented as “崇基學院” (= Chong Ji xue yuan) ; on p.1 Chinese name again presented as “崇基學院”, and English name “Chung Chi College”.

I can’t find any usage of “崇基書院” (= Chong Ji shu yuan) on this item or on any other publications so far.

In that case I believe the preferred name should be “Chong Ji xue yuan (Hong Kong)”?

3.  Relationship between Chung Chi College and Chinese University of Hong Kong

Chung Chi College was founded in October 1951, and was incorporated as one of the founding colleges of the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1963.

College brief history: http://www.ccc.cuhk.edu.hk/en-gb/about-chung-chi/introduction/aims-and-brief-history)

Some other relationships among Chinese University of Hong Kong and other founding colleges:

New Asia College (新亞書院 = Xin Ya shu yuan) was founded in 1949; incorporated into the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1963.

United College (聯合書院 = Lian he shu yuan) was founded in 1956; incorporated into the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1963.

Thanks,

Mandy.

[log in to unmask]">   [log in to unmask]">