From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Brian Chidester
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 4:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Looking for Radio Programs Related to the Composer of "Nature Boy"

Hello Everyone...

I am new to this list. Was recommended to join by David Sager of the Library of Congress with whom I spoke with last week about possible old radio shows that featured Eden Ahbez---the composer of the American standard "Nature Boy."

Here are the main three shows I am searching for (based in listings from newspaper and radio/TV industry publications from 1948-49):

-June 5, 1948 episode of Alan Lomax's "The Ballad Man" in which he plays "Nature Boy" and discusses its lyrics.

-Fall 1948, unnamed talk show on KMPC-Los Angeles in which Ahbez himself hosts five minute segments, talking about health tips and spirituality, and playing one song per episode. I have about five news clippings announcing this show. No exact dates however.

-A May 1949 episode of "This Is Broadway," CBS Radio, a talent show featuring guest panelists such as big-band legend Artie Shaw and author Clifton Fadiman. Ahbez appeared on one of the earliest episodes which may've also been filmed and broadcast on television.

Thanks for taking a look. If anyone knows of any other programs related to Ahbez or "Nature Boy" I would be most grateful to find them as well.

Best,
Brian Chidester
347-797-7013