From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Robert M. TALBOTT
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NAR for a cancelled meeting?

Hi Murk

Cancellation:  That's an interesting twist, but I think that in the final wash it's irrelevant.  The congress name is a legitimate, non-fictional access point presented on the published material.  The cancellation is important still, and should be noted in the 670.

Individual meeting record or general record:  My understanding is that the split between the two groups of records is one of seriality: congresses that are treated as serials are usually established under general authorities, while those cataloged as monographs receive individual authorities with numbers, dates, and places teased out where possible.

Subfields:  111 2\ [meeting name]. $n ([number] : $d [date] : $c [place] : $g  [miscellaneous note])

$g is where one would note the cancellation.  The text supplied in MARC 21 Format for Authorities under X11 is "Projected, not held," but so long as the information is concise and correctly and succinctly conveys the information you should be golden.

My two cents.

Bob