From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wilson, Pete
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 11:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] 400s in personal name authority records when only a death date is added

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a firm answer to an old bothersome question and have been unable to find it.

If we add a death date to an RDA personal name authority that already has a birth date, and that is the only change we make to the authorized form, is it allowable to make a 400 with $w nnea for the earlier form without death date?  If allowable, is it encouraged?

Example:

The old RDA heading is

100:1 : $a Blow, Joe, $d 1937-

After the change:

100:1 : $a Blow, Joe, $d 1937-2020
400:1 : $a Blow, Joe, $d 1937- $w nnea

The FAQ on creating personal name authorities gives an example in section 13 of such a 400 being made, but it is in the context of updating an AACR2 authority record to RDA.  I don’t think routinely adding such a 400 in the course of adding a death date to the 100 is required or encouraged, although it can be a boon in automated authority control systems.  Am I correct?

Thanks,

Pete Wilson
Vanderbilt University