From: Gary L Strawn <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 10:40 AM
To: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Verification at id.loc.gov by the authority toolkit suddenly doesn't work

I've looked further, and I find that I get an XML record when I use Chrome; but when I use Firefox (no idea which version) I still get a MARC record.

But perhaps that's a side show. I received a private message from LC which caused me to look yet further at what's going on inside the toolkit. My program does indeed still not receive an XML record. However, there are (at least!) 2 different ways to make the request for an XML record (I'm trying to omit details that I don't really understand myself) and when I make the request the other way, I get back an XML record, no problem. So it looks from this end like a change at the other end has made a request via the first method not work any longer.

So I can make a change to the toolkit, to retrieve the XML record via the second method. But this brings with it a character set issue that's almost certainly tied to the fact that I'm still using 32-bit VB: many (but not all) Unicode characters come back as question marks.

In case it matters, my code is setting the request header to the following value, because that's what works for records retrieved from NLM:

"User-Agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)"

Should I specify something else? (I note that any attempt to touch the "responseType" throws an error ...)

Gary L. Strawn

Northwestern University Libraries

Northwestern University

1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300

e-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

office: 847/467-7240

storage facility: 847/467-4619

authority toolkit documentation: http://bit.ly/1Hl1jST

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit