Richard and Lou,

Thank you very much for the ideas.  You've given me back some hope for
these tapes. I was using RX7 spectral de-noise, but it was leaving too
much residual noise, and I couldn't push it further without losing
content and creating artifacts.  It seems I need to be a bit more
adventuresome in my experimentation.

I have RX7 advanced, so the upgrade cost to 8 advanced is not too terrible

Will let you know if I am successful using what you have suggested.

chuck

find some non-destructive ways of

--
Charles Reinsch