We're back from a summer hiatus to celebrate Classical Music Month with a review of the new biography on composer Florence B. Price, The Heart of a Woman<https://blackgrooves.org/new-biography-of-florence-b-price-by-rae-linda-brown/>, by Rae Linda Brown. Classical music recordings include Duo Dolce's Summerland: Music for Cello and Piano by Composers of African Descent<https://blackgrooves.org/duo-dolce-summerland-music-for-cello-and-piano-by-composers-of-african-descent/>; and the ORF Vienna Radio Symphony performing William Dawson's Negro Folk Symphony and Ulysses Kay's Fantasy Variations and Umbrian Scene<https://blackgrooves.org/works-by-william-dawson-ulysses-kay/>.

Jazz releases this month include flutist/composer Nicole Mitchell and soprano Lisa E. Harris's EarthSeed<https://blackgrooves.org/nicole-mitchell-lisa-e-harris-earthseed/>, based on the Afrofuturistic novels of Octavia E. Butler; Swing States: Harmony in the Battleground<https://blackgrooves.org/regina-carter-freedom-band-swing-states-harmony-in-the-battleground/> by the Regina Carter Freedom Band; trombonist Javier Nero's debut album Freedom<https://blackgrooves.org/javier-nero-freedom/>; bassist/composer Derrick Hodge's concept album Color of Noize<https://blackgrooves.org/derrick-hodge-color-of-noize/>; trumpeter Derrick Gardner's Still I Rise<https://blackgrooves.org/derrick-gardner-the-big-dig-band-still-i-rise/> with the Big dig! Band; saxophone legend Maceo Parker's Soul Food: Cooking with Maceo<https://blackgrooves.org/maceo-parker-soul-food-cooking-with-maceo/>; saxophonist/keyboardist Mike Burton's cross-genre project Walk With Me<https://blackgrooves.org/mike-burton-walk-with-me/>; and Sun Piano<https://blackgrooves.org/laraaji-sun-piano/> by ambient music icon Laraaji.

Popular music releases include soul-rock musician Fantastic Negrito's Have You Lost Your Mind Yet?<https://blackgrooves.org/fantastic-negrito-have-you-lost-your-mind-yet/>; London artist L.A. Salami's The Cause of Doubt & A Reason to Have Faith<https://blackgrooves.org/l-a-salami-the-cause-of-doubt-a-reason-to-have-faith/>; the collective Austin Musicians for Transformative Justice's call for social justice on No More Silence Vol. 2<https://blackgrooves.org/austin-musicians-for-transformative-justice-no-more-silence-vol-2/>; Billy Ocean's 70th birthday celebration One World<https://blackgrooves.org/billy-ocean-one-world/>; R&B diva Brandy's b7<https://blackgrooves.org/brandy-b7/>; French-Caribbean bassist, singer and producer Adeline's Intérimes<https://blackgrooves.org/adeline-interimes/>; R&B superstar Teyana Taylor's The Album<https://blackgrooves.org/teyana-taylor-the-album/>; the late blues musician Frank Bey's final release All My Dues Are Paid<https://blackgrooves.org/frank-bey-all-my-dues-are-paid/>; and Chris Jasper's For the Love of You<https://blackgrooves.org/chris-jasper-for-the-love-of-you/> which revisits some of hits he wrote for The Isley Brothers.

World music releases include Mutation<https://blackgrooves.org/les-freres-smith-mutation/> from the Parisian Afrobeat group Les Frères Smith, and the eponymous release<https://blackgrooves.org/ghetto-kumbes-new-self-titled-release/> from the Afro-Colombian group Ghetto Kumbé.

Wrapping up this issue is our list of Summer 2020 Black Music Releases of Note<https://blackgrooves.org/summer-2020-black-music-releases-of-note/> covering additional releases from June, July and August.
***We are currently seeking volunteer reviewers in all genres, especially jazz. If interested, please email me privately.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
www.blackgrooves.org
https://aaamc.indiana.edu/