Hi Daniel,
    Chugging along, still, I see. The profession is better for it.

   I’ve been retired for 6 years, now, but I still have not gotten the work out of my blood. I’m president of the local historical society and derive a lot of satisfaction from the progress we’re making preserving a history unlike any in the state of Vermont. Elevator speech version:  between 1903, when the Woodbury Granite Company won the contract for the Pennsylvania State Capitol, and 1923, when it won the contract for the AT&T Building on 5th Avenue in New York, Hardwick was the home office of the largest building granite company in the world. Any time you go through Union Station in DC, think of Hardwick.

The company died slowly after skyscrapers replaced classical buildings as corporate headquarters and public spaces in urban areas, and the community died along with it. When I moved here in 1971, it was in pretty rough shape. But, it has rebounded. It’s not what it was in 1910, but it’s also not what it was in 1971.

We have a serious history that most people don’t know about, and we have the old railroad station as the museum and archives for the town’s history. We have a good website and have begun to make inventories and finding aids available and searchable. We have several important “hidden collections” for which the finding aids will go onto the website within a year or so. I’ve got the inventory done, but the finding aid is not DACS compliant, yet.

I took the SNAC training in anticipation of bringing the major players into the public’s view, and I was gob-smacked when I realized that every name in the database must link to an EAD encoded finding aid.

For about 5 years, I noodled over the question of whether I should encode our finding aids in EAD or just post them as searchable.pdf files. I had just about decided on.pdf when I ran into that SNAC requirement; that prolonged the quandary for another for another couple years.

I’ve finally decided to eschew EAD and EAC as delivery systems. It finally dawned on me that nobody with my credentials is going to follow me to Hardwick. Putting all our records on the web in a format that takes a substantial amount of training sets my successors up to fail to keep the work going. Long term, that’s an exercise in ego, not responsible professional behavior.

Nor do I see any EAD/EAC conversion shops popping up. So, I will create finding aids and authority files with standards-compliant data elements and content, but without the encoding the national and international projects require.

So, here’s why I’m taking up your time:  in the later years of my formal involvement with the profession, much was being made of the need to bring “hidden collections”, the important stuff contained in places like the Hardwick Historical Society, into the sight and grasp of researchers, and it was widely assumed that technology could do that.

But, by requiring encoded data, projects like SNAC and perhaps NAFAN actually shut out thousands of small repositories, keeping us and our collections “hidden”.

What’s the solution?

All’s well with me. Vermont has a positivity rate of less than 1%, having tested about 25% of the general population and 100% of all returning college folks.

I hope you’re the same. I’m sure the fires in the west worry you, and perhaps they have cost you dearly. If so, I’m sorry.

The Vermont real estate market is tough on locals, again, as escapees from both the corona virus and the fires have begun to buy properties, sight unseen.

Finally, one of my nephews teaches computer science at UMd. He’s on the software side, so I passed the job announcement along to him.

Stay well.

Wiz