Greetings from France,

Correct number for this Carmen flower song by Alvarez is 1644, not 1664
nor 1640.
Visible (and audible) here : http://www.phonobase.org/8909.html

Date is hard to know with precision. The disc was probably issued in
1907-1908, but it is the transfer of a 1903 or 1904 cylinder.

And here a visible (and audible) example of the cylinder issue of 1664
"Les boeufs" (Dupont) by the same Alvarez
http://www.phonobase.org/1815.html

Best regards,

Henri CHAMOUX
http://www.archeophone.org : the many adventures of the archeophone
http://www.phonobase.org : 10 000 morceaux de cire, de gomme-laque, de
celluloïd à écouter en ligne
http://phonobase.hypotheses.org : dernières nouvelles de la phonobase

Le 20/10/2020 à 19:57, Gary A. Galo a écrit :
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am trying to date a Pathe disc recording by Albert Alvarez, the Flower Song from Carmen. This recording was on an old LP produced by Henry Herrold in 1959, Herrold 5000, which also contained a bunch of Mapleson cylinders from Aida Favia-Artsay's collection. Aida gave a catalog number of 1664 for this record, but a recent reissue by Malibran says 1640. Malibran gives a date of 1905, but if 1640 is really the catalog number, a more likely date would seem to be 1903. I've checked various on-line references - DAHR, Kelly - without success, along with a private Alvarez CD sold on eBay, which gives 1640 as the catalog number and "1903 (?)" as the date.
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRENCH-TENOR-ALBERT-ALVAREZ-1861-1933-CD-/293098186388
>
> 1664 is the catalog number of another recording, Les boeufs by Dupont, included on both the eBay CD and Malibran.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on the correct date and catalog number for this record?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary
>
> Gary Galo
> Audio Engineer Emeritus