Hi Marcia,

I presume that you're talking about reel-to-reel tapes. IMHO, I don't
think it matters for long term storage. I still use 1/4' paper tap for
hold down probably because I'm an old recording engineer & old habits
are hard to break. ;-)  What is important (again, IMHO) is that there is
about 6' of leader at both ends of the audio tape. The leader at the
head of the tape protects the audio tape itself & the leader at the hub
of the reel protects the audio tape from the hub (threading slots, etc.).

My $0.02

CB

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net