177 was, indeed, the 1 mil version of 176. Neither tape had back coating, so they should not need baking.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Dennis Rooney
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 9:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [ARSCLIST] Scotch AV177 sqealing

This message did not originate from SUNY Potsdam or one of its trusted senders. Do not open attachments, click on links, or provide your credentials if the source is suspicious.

Dear Shai,

3M 176 and 177 both can squeal, although your feline comparison is more severe than what I ever experienced. When they were introduced in the 70s, we put them into service in the news operations of the broadcaster I worked for at the time and we noticed the squealing tendency then, so it is not a consequence of age. Also *ab initio*, both tape types noticeably shed oxide in use. However, those issues were not judged to cause any malfunction in use and were in effect ignored. The formulation seems to have been one of 3M's most stable but it is years since I have handled any.

DDR

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 6:03 AM Shai Drori <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Tim
> They definitely do not need baking, they are dry and thus squealing.
> I was under the impression that they were just a thinner 176. The 176
> is a great tape in my experience.
>
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 11:33 Tim Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Shai,
> >
> > I have a stack of 3M  Pro Pack 177 (1 mil) n 10.5" reels. Not back
> > coated. Had them for about 40 years. All ex radio station log tapes.
> > Mostly they are OK but a little shedding so sometimes need more
> > cleaning of tape path than usual. Definitely nothing as bad as the
> > main SSS type tapes. I dont think I've ever baked any but have
> > thought they might need it if they ever got any worse.
> >
> > Cheers Tim

1006 Langer Way
Delray Beach, FL 33483
561.265.2976