Shai, I have no specific informaiton on the topic of backcoated or not, but I think that the chemical basis for SSS in the oxide was simply simultaneous with the advent of back coating. Back in the day, a radio studio where I worked used cheap “shamrock” 7” reels of scrap tape that seemed to be Ampex and some of it was backcoated and some was not, but the oxide seemed the same on some of the stock. I’m so glad it is not my gig to be transferring those tapes to digital!

That Shaamrock junk was extremely hard to splice together into 12400’ reels, because there were many variaitons in the formulae in a box of 50 reels.

Once we moved over to Sctoch 176 everything suddenly became depandable and normal again! 176 is duplicator grade but dependable and no SSS to this day! :-)

So I’m just saying sticky shed is not dependent on backcoating at all. Good luck with your SN tapes! I;’ve never even seen any of those.

<L>
Lou Judson
Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689