Hello,

Over the years I've heard various opinions about hold-down tape, retainers (either plastic or metal), and protective collars. Personally, I'm not a big fan of retainers -- too many ways this could go wrong without a flat wind in place, and if the retainers are removed incautiously. What is the current wisdom on this list (or variety of opinions)? I can see why you may want to use something while shipping reels but does it matter while they're in storage? Would you use retainers or collars for shipments, and remove them before storage?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Marcia K. Segal
Archivist
American Folklife Center
Library of Congress

My opinions are my own, and do not reflect those of my employer.