From: "Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List"
To:<[log in to unmask]>
Sent:Sat, 21 Nov 2020 10:37:01 +0100
Subject:[ARSCLIST] Terminological choice

 Greetings,

 In the academic literature (of linguistics) I often read about the
 necessity to record with "high-quality recordings..." and what they
 often mean is all based on technical parameters. For instance using a
røde
 mic, and recording to .wav format at something like 48khz/24bit.

 My perspective, and I think some on this list would agree, is that
 technical settings on hardware by themselves do not make a
"high-quality
 recording". My interpretation is that "quality" involves so much more
in
 terms of sound engineering, such as mic placement, levels like gain
(noise
 to signal ratio) etc, and composition of the content.

 So I am writing a brief squib on this issue, and I would like to
 terminologically make a distinction between a "High quality
recording" and
 a "a well recorded recording". I am wondering if I should contrast
the
 concepts of "High quality recording" and "High fidelity recording"?
What do
 you think? Do these terms adequately capture the contrast? Are there
other
 terms that should be used?

 all the best,
 - Hugh