NLS Operations Alert
DATE : November 16, 2020
TO : Network Libraries
FROM : Meredith Beckhardt, Network Services Section
SUBJECT : PICS passwords reset in early December
In response to security requirements, all PICS passwords will need to be changed after Tuesday, December 8.
After December 8, a reset password request will appear on the screen the first time an account holder attempts to log in to PICS. Listed below are the parameters for new passwords:
1. 10 characters or more, consisting of the following mix:
a. 1 or more uppercase characters
b. 1 or more lowercase characters
c. 1 or more numeric keys
d. 1 or more symbol keys (excluding spaces, tabs, or non-printing keys)
2. No repeated characters, including repeated letters that mix case (e.g., AA or Aa)
3. Last 5 passwords cannot be re-used
Some other features include:
· Accounts will be locked for 15 minutes after 5 unsuccessful tries on the same day.
· Passwords will expire in 360 days, with a notification 7-day prior.
NLS recommends that each library designate a person before the switchover who will be responsible for creating new passwords for the PICS account(s) and communicating them to the staff.
For more information, contact:
Network Services Section
(202) 329-7093 (cell)