Martin --

You will probably receive a wide range of recommendations from this list.
I too have had the same RME Fireface 800 and been very happy with it for
many years.
But it appears to have failed a second time, so I've moved on.

The only acceptable quality in your stated price range is probably a few
channels of Focusrite.  You can find used Firface 800's on e-Bay close to
your price range.

I have had successful dealings with numerous pro audio retailers over three
decades.  I can recommend Sweetwater for honesty, flexibility, reasonable
prices and commitment to follow up support.  (Disclaimer.  I once won a
very nice large-diaphragm, side-address condenser microphone in their
monthly promotional contests, now discontinued.)

FYI, I went with MOTU but lost a deal of flexibility found in a true
multi-channel rack like the 800.

Best,

Dave R

--