Hi, All,

Apologies for cross posting. I'm not certain how much overlap there is
between ARSC and IASA.

I have been contacted by someone in the UK asking if I could recover
some flood-damaged data DAT (DDS-2) tapes. There are about a dozen
cassettes. Before I confirmed he was from the UK, I already suggested
Spec Brothers, but he would prefer someone in the UK or Europe due to
shipping costs (but how will the UK/EU

These contain a "Retrospect" backup of all the files of a multitrack
recording project. The flood occurred 20 years ago and the original
2-inch reel tapes were deemed unsalvageable at that time and are no
longer available. These DDS-2 tapes are the only surviving copy (if they
have survived). I have filed two pictures of one of the cassettes here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cavy7n84u8jlpgq/AAAazS7cHhPw3n7OdFwrw8Zla?dl=0

If any of you know of a person/firm who would like to have a go at this
project, I can put them in touch with the owner.

I have already told him that this should have been addressed immediately
and the 2-inch reels should have been the priority. I've also mentioned
that I wasn't certain if these were MP or ME tapes, but there may be
questions about moisture and the magnetic particles oxidizing. Then of
course there is the issue of a Retrospect backup which could be one
large file spread across the dozen or so tapes, implying that every tape
must be recoverable to possibly get anything (I'm not certain of that,
but I never felt comfortable with these large, segmented backup files.

Anyway, good luck to the person who steps up to do this. I would like to
hear if these were recovered in the end, just for a frame of reference.

Cheers,

Richard

Track Format - Speed - Equalization - Azimuth - Noise Reduction