I had some experience with the Stephens 2", 40 track. The specs were
horrible because you can't cheat Mother Nature. The 2", 32 track
introduced by Telefunken wasn't bad, although it was used with Telcom
noise reduction. A version of 3" audio tape was introduced in the 1970"s
for a hot minute, that allowed for more tracks, but I don't think it
made it to the production line. John Windt had a mod for a 24tr. that
worked well. Basically, it was an add-on daughter board that took the
inner-channel crosstalk, flipped the polarity, & reintroduced it. The
device didn't get all of the crosstalk & other problems but, it did
noticeably improve things. The gain was adjustable so, it took longer to
align the machine.

My $0.02

CB

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering