From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Jeff Willens
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2020 6:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [ARSCLIST] Noise reduction on mono records using two separate coherent sources

This message did not originate from SUNY Potsdam or one of its trusted senders. Do not open attachments, click on links, or provide your credentials if the source is suspicious.

So my humble idea FWIW would be to have 2 identical turntables, same tonearm, cart and stylus, TF, etc. both driven by a common source; some sort of servo controller that would output identical power, timing, locking, etc. to both tables. You’ve now theoretically got rid of most of those variations and you’re left with just the disc anomalies. They don’t necessarily need to be run exactly simultaneously, but the time base would be common and sync could be corrected (?). If I have the idea correct, this is different from the cake platter concept.

Others seem to be suggesting a sort of M/S processing which, even if successful on one disc, I would never even bother attempting with 2 copies.

Jeff