Two comments, Martin, from a professional who only uses Macs:

WAV is absolutely the standard for audio preservation and production, on Macs and on other computers.

I just wanted to counter the implication that using Apple computers might require some other file format. WAV is the standard everywhere. Macs can use larger than 2G files, though. I have some 3 gig, 98 minute transfers that I like to keep whole!

I believe that 96/24 is also the preservation standard, as you said. I’m working on an archving project for GRAMMY and they specified 96/24.

I can understand you wanting 192 capability, though I’ve never used it.

2c,
<L>
Lou Judson
Intuitive Audio