From: "Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List"
To:<[log in to unmask]>
Sent:Sun, 20 Dec 2020 16:51:53 -0800
Subject:Re: [ARSCLIST] Noise reduction on mono records using two
separate coherent sources

 I had some experience with the Stephens 2", 40 track. The specs were
 horrible because you can't cheat Mother Nature. The 2", 32 track
 introduced by Telefunken wasn't bad, although it was used with Telcom

 noise reduction. A version of 3" audio tape was introduced in the
1970"s
 for a hot minute, that allowed for more tracks, but I don't think it
 made it to the production line. John Windt had a mod for a 24tr. that

 worked well. Basically, it was an add-on daughter board that took the

 inner-channel crosstalk, flipped the polarity, & reintroduced it. The

 device didn't get all of the crosstalk & other problems but, it did
 noticeably improve things. The gain was adjustable so, it took longer
 align the machine.

 My $0.02

 CB

 Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
 www.baileyzone.net

 On 12/20/2020 3:31 PM, Jamie Howarth wrote:
 > The late Roger Nichols talked about a zillion track multitrack head
for mono or stereo whereby the correlated audio could be made distinct
from each track's noise and AM distortion and that probably could
work, but it's not as easy as it looks because the tape isn't
dimensionally that stable, dynamically - local momentary stretching
occurs.

Email sent using Optus Webmail