Hello PCC colleagues,

We at UW have started to use subfield $i in the 370 field to indicate the setting of a work, in both bib and authority records.  For example:

100 1# Richler, Mordecai, ǂd 1931-2001. ǂt Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
370 ## ǂg Canada ǂ2 naf
370 ## ǂi Setting: ǂf Montréal (Québec) ǂ2 naf

100 1# Richler, Mordecai, ǂd 1931-2001, ǂe author.
245 14 The apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz / ǂc Mordecai Richler.
260 ## Toronto, Ont. ; ǂa New York, N.Y. : ǂb Penguin Books, ǂc 1995.
370 ## ǂi Setting: ǂf Montréal (Québec) ǂ2 naf
370 ## ǂg Canada ǂ2 naf

100 1# Alexie, Sherman, ǂd 1966- ǂe author.
245 14 The Lone Ranger and Tonto fistfight in heaven / ǂc Sherman Alexie.
264 #1 New York : ǂb Grove Press, ǂc [2005]
264 #4 ǂc ©2005
370 ## ǂi Setting: ǂf Spokane Indian Reservation (Wash.) ǂ2 lcsh
370 ## ǂi Setting: ǂf Seattle (Wash.) ǂ2 naf

Recently, I've been thinking about other possible uses of subfield $i, realizing that most uses of 370 $f (other associated place) could potentially benefit from more specific information about the nature of the relationship to a place.  We've long included workplace locations in personal name authority records, typically using $f.  I tell our catalogers that if all they know is where a person works, don't assume it's their place of residence and use $f.  But since $f can mean many kinds of things, I wonder if we should develop some recommended terminology for use in subfield $i?  For example, for workplace location, we could record:

100 1# Alexander, Becky ǂc (Atmospheric scientist)
370 ## ǂc United States ǂ2 naf
370 ## ǂi Work location: ǂf Seattle (Wash.) ǂ2 naf
372 ## Atmospheric chemistry ǂ2 lcsh
373 ## University of Washington. Department of Atmospheric Sciences ǂ2 naf ǂs 2005

"work location" also happens to be the name of the property in Wikidata that we use to record where a person works/has worked.

I'm wondering what others think about using $i to explain the nature of the type of place recorded in $f?  Would folks like to see PCC develop a list of terms to use in the subfield $i?  If we do that, URIs could also potentially be created that could be used in $4.  There already are several URIs for setting that can be used: http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators/stg and http://id.loc.gov/entities/relationships/setting.  There's also an example in the PCC Task Group on Linked Data Best Practices Final Report on page 11:

370 ## $i Setting: $a Wyoming $2 naf $4 http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/relators/stg $0 http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n79022108

Wikidata has both the property "work location" and an item for the concept of workplace location, so URIs are available for either of them, although I think for linked data purposes we would want to use the property URI in $4:

  • workplace (Q628858) : work location
    physical location where someone works
  • concept URI: http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q628858

  • location where persons were active
  • concept URI: http://www.wikidata.org/entity/P937

  • We could use a Wikidata URI in $4 instead of one maintained by LC, e.g.:

    370 ## ǂi Work location: ǂf Seattle (Wash.) ǂ2 naf ǂ4 http://www.wikidata.org/entity/P937

    I'm wondering what other types of places people use 370 $f for?  I know I have seen $f used for burial places.   For example, we might do:

    100 1# Baldwin, James, ǂd 1924-1987
    370 ## Harlem (New York, N.Y.) ǂ2 naf
    370 ## New York (N.Y.) ǂ2 naf
    370 ## ǂb Saint-Paul (Alpes-Maritimes, France) ǂ2 naf
    370 ## ǂc United States ǂ2 naf
    370 ## ǂi Burial place: ǂf Hartsdale (N.Y.) ǂ2 naf

    Burial place also has a Wikidata property URI that could be used in $4: http://www.wikidata.org/entity/P119

    I think I've also seen 370 $f used for places where a person attended school.

    My short list so far:

    $i Setting
    $i Work location
    $i Burial place
    $i School location

    Any others?  Should we start more regularly using $i when 370 $f is used in bib and authority records?

    I welcome your thoughts!

    Adam Schiff

    Adam Schiff
    Principal Cataloger