Hi Jesse,

First of all, it's not a ridiculous idea.

You could use any potentiometer between the values of about 10K to 50K
Ohms. On a Potentiometer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer),
there are three lugs. The two outside lugs are connected to a
(typically) carbon ring that is a semi-circle. Basically, the carbon
semi-circle is a resistor & if you were to connect an ohmmeter across
those two lugs, you would measure the value of the pot (plus or minus
the tolerance). The center lug is the wiper & is connected to the shaft
so that it will rotate to either of the outside lugs. Thus, the
resistance measured at the center lug will change as you rotate the shaft.

First, rotate the shaft to the full counterclockwise (off) position
Connect the incoming signal to the outside lugs, the low side to the lug
next to the wiper & the hi, or plus, to the other outside lug, opposite
the wiper. Next, connect the output low to the low side lug (next to the
wiper, connecting it to the same lug as the incoming low side) and
connect the output plus to the center lug. Assuming your input/output
connectors are the correct polarity, your done! You can house your newly
constructed attenuator anyway you like, or not.

I built an attenuator using the same method. At first, I used single
turn pots but changed them out for 10 turn pots so that the adjustment
can be more precise.

Hope this helps,

CB

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering