My restoration turntable is designed for 16" discs but the platter is
only 14". So, I use a 1/8"thick, 16" Dia. aluminum disc that I made
because I don't want the outer area of a 16" disc unsupported. I also
made a mat for it. When you do this, the tonearm gets raised by the
thickness of the materials. Although my tonearm is designed for a 16"
disc, the extra thickness stretches it to it's limit (visually).
However, the cartridge sits flat & tests have shown that the tonearm
doesn't care about the extra thickness which, is great because the next
step would be to add a shim at the base of the tonearm. A real PITA.

I made the aluminum disc because tests revealed some extra resonance on
the outside of a 16" disc when played on a 14" platter. Fortunately, I
haven't had any calls to transfer a 20" disc. ;-)

~CB

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net