From: Steve Smolian
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 10:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Speeds

For  western music (Alois Haba, Emmanuel Moore, etc. notwithstanding),
playback increments are in half-steps.  Once you have established your
speed to show a sustained note from a preferred instrument (oboe, other
winds, good string players, etc. only then, as a last resort, voices), going
up or down by half tones quickly shakes out many wrong speeds.  I use a Korg
guitar tuner with an internal microphone and may check with a pitch pipe
subsequently.

If working with an unfamiliar voice, I try and find a selection they are
unlikely to have transposed and see how that matches the vocalist's sound on
your subject record.

For accurate results, it is necessary to be sure the record is well-centered
before checking for pitch.

Some discographies include playing speeds and are therefore worth
consulting. But beware- if the discographer is European, he is determining
these results in a 50 cycle environment.  In the U.S., we have a 60 cycle
standard.  That's a difference of over half an rpm.

This is true for European LPs played back in the U.S. as well.  And for some
European tapes transferred by U.S. companies for domestic issue.  This is a
matter different from CCIR vs NAB tape equalization.

Establishing pitch for tapes made on battery-operated machines running at
1-7/8 ips with failing batteries on half mil tape calls for lots of
patience.  There is a similar 78 rpm problem where the speed changes in the
course  of the side.

In short, it ain't short.

Steve Smolian

inal Message-----