Hi Tim,

I decided that tape lubrication was the direction to follow about 30
years ago. I was experimenting with lubricants about the same time as
Marie O'Connell & I can say that wet playing a SSS tape with alcohol
works. I didn't continue with the alcohol process because I was afraid
of damage to the machine. Obviously, Marie was persistent & perfected
the process. Her initial method of applying the alcohol, using an IV
setup was very innovative. I tried both Isopropyl & Denatured alcohol &
wasn't able to discern a difference & there doesn't seem to be an after
effect over time as the tapes suffering from SSS were revisited about 20
years later & had no evidence of ill effects. All of my experiments with
tape lubrication produced results that are to be considered as
anecdotal, although the scientific method was used.

I have written an article about the process:
http://www.baileyzone.net/LUBRICATING%20POLYESTER%20AUDIO%20TAPE.htm

Be Safe,

CB

Corey Bailey Audio Engineering