No, they did not. Before Rene Snepvangers went to Columbia, he was an engineer for RCA Victor and, circa 1945, he was working on the early development of the 45-rpm record. Whether or not the early prototypes were microgroove remains a mystery, though. My understanding about Snepvangers' contribution to the Columbia LP is that he was responsible for microgroove. How this may have conflicted - or may not have conflicted - with his previous work for RCA remains a mystery, at least to me. The only 45's I've seen with a small center hole are some European classical discs that have what looks like a 45-adapter in the center, which could be punched out if you wanted to play them on a 45-rpm changer. But, I've never seen a 45 that looked like a 7-inch LP.

Best,
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Ron Roscoe
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 12:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [ARSCLIST] [nevec] Rare records need to be digitized.

This message did not originate from SUNY Potsdam or one of its trusted senders. Do not open attachments, click on links, or provide your credentials if the source is suspicious.

I don’t think the first commercial 45’s ever used a 78 sized groove. Be hard to get 5 minutes of music on one side of a 45 using the wider 78 groove. The whole 45 system with changer was ready before WW2 and was held up because of WW2.  Do you know of any examples of 45’s with a regular small center hole? [9/32”?]

Ron