NLS Operations Alert

No. 21-21

DATE         :   February 25, 2021
TO             :   Network Libraries
FROM        :   Mark Santangelo, Chief, Patron and Network Engagement Division
SUBJECT  :   Network Resolutions from 2020 National Conference

The following are the regional conference resolutions from the 2020 National Conference of Librarians Serving Blind and Print Disabled Individuals, which took place virtually December 1-3, 2020, and the NLS responses.

Midlands Conference Resolutions 2020

1.       The Midlands Conference members resolve to thank NLS staff for their efforts as the virtual host for the 2020 Biennial Conference.

          NLS Response: You are welcome.

2.       The Midlands Conference members resolve to thank Karen Keninger for her years of service as the director of NLS and wish her well on her upcoming retirement.

          NLS Response: Thank you. NLS shares your sentiments.

3.       Midlands Conference members thank NLS for their work on accepting accessible digital signatures of certifying authority.

          NLS Response: You are welcome.

4.       Midlands Conference members commend NLS for the forthcoming braille eReaders and the exploration of multiple device options for the future, including the work on voice activation technology.

          NLS Response: Thank you.

5.       Midlands Conference members commend NLS for the rollout and continued success of the national advertising campaign and encourage the continuation of such outreach efforts.

NLS Response: We appreciate that. We hope to continue this national advertising and to creatively engage our various audiences to build brand awareness and interest in NLS services.

6.       Midlands Conference members commend NLS for the formation of the Modernization Office and the restructuring of the NLS divisions.

          NLS Response: Thank you.

7.       Midlands Conference members thank NLS for providing the necessary equipment and supplies (i.e. cartridges, containers, labels, computer, scanner, printer, etc.) at no cost to network libraries, allowing for easier transition to the Duplication-on-Demand model of service.

NLS Response: We are happy to supply the materials, and even happier that libraries are adopting the Duplication-on-Demand paradigm.

8.       Midlands Conference members encourage NLS to expand eligibility further to include persons with intellectual disabilities.

NLS Response: NLS eligibility is defined by law in the Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act of 2018 at 17 USC 121 and @ 2 USC 135a as amended in 2019. NLS will accept as eligible any person who, according to a recognized certifying authority, meets the eligibility requirements in the Act. The recent change in certifying authorities to ease access for people with reading disabilities was the result of a multi-year effort. NLS has no plans at the present to seek expansion of the Act's eligibility criteria to include intellectual disabilities.

9.       Midlands Conference members request that NLS investigates a cost-benefit analysis for the provision of a national ILS for network libraries.

          NLS Response: We may consider this in the future.

10.      Midlands Conference members request that NLS provide guidance to the network on how to effectively promote and market the BARD First initiative.

          NLS Response: NLS is working on tools and guidelines for this effort.

11.      Midlands Conference members resolve to thank Sarah Willeford and the staff at the Iowa Library for the Blind & Physically Handicapped for virtually hosting the 2021 Midlands Regional Conference.

          NLS Response: NLS concurs.

Northern Conference Resolutions 2020

1.       We thank NLS for arranging for this virtual conference and allowing us to hear updates, learn from and support each other, and virtually gather together during this time. It was wonderful.

          NLS Response: You are welcome.

2.       We also urge NLS to consider including virtual components of conferences in the future, even if we have in-person conferences once again. This would allow those libraries with limited budgets, and staff who would normally not be able to attend due to travel, to participate and gain from the valuable information shared at the National Conference.

          NLS Response: NLS plans to add a virtual element to future conferences.

3.       We thank NLS for moving forward with easing restrictions on Reading Disability (Organic Function) certifications. We are eager to see this easing of RD certifier restrictions implemented equitably across all states and resolve that the rollout should please be expedited.

NLS Response: The regulatory change took effect February 12. Outreach regarding the change will be primarily up to the network libraries during 2021. More robust outreach at the national level may be implemented in the future.

4.       We thank NLS for getting topical books (notably recent books by Michelle Obama, Barack Obama, John Bolton, and Mary Trump) into the collection and available to our patrons so quickly. This has been very much appreciated by the community.

NLS Response: The Collections Division is pleased the Northern Conference libraries feel that patrons' needs are being met with the selection of such topical books. NLS strives to meet the recreational and informational needs of our readers, and we appreciate this positive feedback. NLS thanks the Northern Conference libraries for helping to connect patrons to this material. And thank you for supporting continuing collection development efforts in this way.

5.       We resolve that Collection Development speak to and/or expand on its selection policies related specifically to titles that spread hate, have information that has been proven false, or promote conspiracy theories.

NLS Response: The Collection Development Section recognizes that some of the material selected for the NLS collection, particularly topical material as mentioned in the previous resolution, does not appeal to all NLS patrons. Furthermore, some patrons may find the content objectionable. While some titles are representative of only a segment of readers' interests, we try to balance this appropriately within the collection. Selection of any given book is not to be interpreted as an endorsement of its content. Selection is representative of a perceived interest in, and/or request for, such topics among our readers.

6.       Whereas there are 41 million United States residents who speak Spanish as a primary language (or over 13 percent of the population), we resolve that NLS should please work on a Spanish-language website, equitable promotional materials, and BARD interface, as well as an expanding collection of Spanish titles.

NLS Response: The Collections Division agrees wholeheartedly with this resolution. NLS is actively pursuing each of these suggestions. We have increased the production of Spanish-language books for the NLS collection and are working towards additional Spanish-language patron resources (finding aids, interfaces, etc.). Additionally, we are pursuing the addition of more Spanish-language magazines and Spanish-language material acquired through Marrakesh exchange.

7.       Whereas the National Library Service (NLS), by policy and by statute, is committed to providing service to the largest population possible; and whereas not all within this population speak English, and there are those who would like to hear books in a language other than English; and whereas NLS has committed to deliver materials by mail, or download via the Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD); now, therefore be it resolved that NLS must repair broken links to BARD from Voyager within title records listed in NLS's online catalog, specifically to titles not in English, which prevent access to these recordings for patrons and network libraries.

NLS Response: The Collections Division appreciates that the libraries of the Northern Conference recognize this issue. This had already come to our attention, and we are addressing it as quickly as possible. Wherever possible, the Voyager links are being repaired to point to the correct BARD holding. In some cases, however, the original material was not properly loaded to BARD. In these cases, we are replacing this material, as we are able, or editing the records as needed if the files are unavailable. NLS welcomes feedback if you discover additional broken links or otherwise inaccessible holdings.

8.       Be it further resolved that title records for titles not in English must be more thoroughly and accurately cataloged.

NLS Response: The Collections Division recognizes the need for this improvement in non-English title records. The Bibliographic Control Section is working with the CDS Foreign Language Librarian to discover and address such edits. We are also working to create more thorough and accurate cataloging elements in Voyager to improve discoverability of non-English records.

9.       We resolve that NLS should implement a project to add to BARD and make available via Duplication on Demand those "Marrakesh" books deemed to be a priority, instead of pursuing a plan where these books are only discoverable on a separate website and only available by manual on-demand download that must be done over and over again by staff. We think this would be of greater benefit to patrons, as well as a good plan for long-term continuing access that makes the most of what is available.

NLS Response: The Collections Division agrees that it is of great benefit to patrons to make material acquired through Marrakesh exchange discoverable and available. Marrakesh material is being made available on BARD, and the corresponding catalog records are in Voyager, so they should be as easily discoverable to patrons and Duplication-on-Demand systems as any NLS-produced accessible books.

10.      Northern Conference members resolve that NLS review and revise the current WebREADS OPAC rules requiring a 16-character password, a 30-minute window to register as a new user or for a patron to change an expired password, and a 30-day period of time that a password remains active. To reduce the challenges these rules pose, alleviate the frustration patrons endure, and create a more positive patron experience, we recommend a shorter password (suggest 8-10 characters), an increase in the window of time a patron has to register as a new user or change an expired password (suggest a minimum of 4 hours), and an increase in the period of time before a password expires (suggest a minimum of 120 days). Thank you.

NLS Response: NLS is required to follow federal guidelines for IT security, which includes password management. The items cited are part of guidelines that NLS is expected to follow. NLS recognizes and is willing to work with the network libraries on these password management issues, as NLS remains committed to providing a system that works as effectively as possible for patrons yet complies with federal guidelines. NLS continues to welcome this feedback from network libraries regarding password management. NLS will use this feedback in our efforts to work with our IT security counterparts at the Library to determine if changes could be made to improve the patron experience with passwords yet still remain compliant with federal IT security guidelines.

11.      We resolve that restrictions be eased on BARD passwords. Currently there is an undue burden placed on patrons with cognitive or technical challenges. Please consider allowing any 8 characters without restriction or otherwise easing requirements.

          NLS Response: See response above.

12.      We resolve that NLS should please update BARD Mobile so that patrons can enter a temporary password and create their new passwords directly in the app.

NLS Response: NLS agrees and is seeking to incorporate these modifications into BARD Mobile in a future release.

13.      We resolve that NLS should add braille instructional books to the circulating collection. Whereas we do have the precedent of carrying language learning books and music instruction books in the collection, and whereas braille literacy is important to the community, and whereas NLS is starting the braille eReader pilot, it would make sense and be good service to have braille instruction books available for our readers.

NLS Response: The Collections Division acknowledges and appreciates the interest in braille instructional material for the NLS collection. We are looking into this, as we also wish to further support braille literacy. We have begun gathering information and are considering how to best approach this resource.

14.      The Northern Conference encourages NLS to develop a program to run on the new NLS braille eReader that can provide braille instruction and tutoring support for adults wishing to learn braille at the beginning uncontracted level and moving into the contracted Grade 2 braille level that would include exercises, drills, practice materials, and appropriate reading exercises to encourage reading and writing of braille.

NLS Response: The Collections Division appreciates this creative resolution to support braille literacy and provide braille instruction. This is a wonderful concept, and we will consider this suggestion as we continue to shape a plan for potential instructional resources.

15.      We request that NLS explore ways to have the exclusions from the Rating Unrated Books project added to MARC records in a way that could be uploaded in a batch by KLAS to update records

NLS Response: The Bibliographic Control Section has recently discussed this desirable process. We appreciate the resolution expressing interest in this from the Northern Conference libraries. We believe that such a method would be a great way to provide updates not only resulting from the Rating Unrated Books project, but also any Voyager record edit that is made after the MARC records are originally distributed. We believe this would help avoid accidentally overwriting local-catalog information in such situations. BCS will explore this process.

16.      Whereas our communities are dependent on the postal service; and whereas the United States Postal Service gets a sizable subsidy from the U.S. Congress to deliver Free Matter; and whereas the USPS has retrofitted public mailboxes with slim slots that make it impossible for patrons to return talking books in them; be it resolved that NLS must address this problem, which is becoming a burden for many of our patrons and communities, must seek to find alternatives for delivery of NLS materials, and must seek to address this continuously with the USPS.

NLS Response: NLS has alerted USPS regarding this network library concern and its impact on patrons who are blind and print-disabled. USPS has indicated that due to heightened security and vandalism regarding the on-street public mail boxes, this restricted access limiting the opening size to flats/envelops has been implemented as a protective measure. Providing patrons with Duplication on Demand or multiple books on a single cartridge is one way to reduce the number of containers that must be handled by USPS and then returned by patrons.

Southern Conference Resolutions 2020

1.       The Southern Conference of Librarians for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (SCLBPH) thanks MaryBeth Wise for planning an information-packed conference, rescheduling it due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and finally reimagining it as a virtual conference. SCLBPH applauds NLS for welcoming all network staff, enabling many more library employees to attend, "meet" NLS staff, and learn firsthand about NLS news and projects. We encourage NLS to provide a virtual option for future conferences.

NLS Response: Thank you. NLS plans to add a virtual element to future conferences.

2.       SCLBPH members wish to express their gratitude to NLS for the following initiatives:

*       Duplication on Demand-those libraries with DoD were in a better position to continue service despite Covid-19 conditions, while those without are looking forward to their transition for more efficient service to their patrons.

*       Braille eReader Pilot-providing refreshable braille devices to patrons will allow them the convenience of using ebraille and will encourage increased braille use.

*       WebREADS-constant development, enhancements, and support have allowed more libraries the ability to better manage patrons, collections, circulation, and equipment. KLAS libraries also thank NLS for working with Keystone to incorporate similar functions for its users.

*       Digital Outreach Campaign-outreach is difficult for many libraries under the best of circumstances, and the pandemic this year has made it much more so. Therefore, NLS's effort to identify and reach potential patrons on a national level is greatly appreciated.

*       Network Library Services Website-this is a convenient and well-organized source of information and resources for network libraries.

          NLS Response: You are welcome.

3.       The Southern Conference expresses its gratitude to Maureen Dorosinski, James Woolyhand, and staff at the Daytona Regional Library for laying the groundwork at the Shores Resort and Spa for the 2021 Northern/Southern Regional conference, and to SCLBPH President Angela Fisher Hall for working with The Shores to reschedule the conference for 2023.

          NLS Response: NLS concurs.

4.       The libraries of the Southern Conference wish to recognize the following for their combined decades of library service to blind and print disabled patrons:

*       JD Hall-Arkansas, SCLBPH Executive Committee Member-at-Large, retired December 2019.

*       Beth Solka-VA1L (Fredericksburg VA) retired July 2019.

*       Ava Smith-Texas, SCLBHP Secretary and former President, retired December 2019.

*       Bobby Lipscomb-AL1E (Huntsville AL) passed away in 2019.

          NLS Response: NLS concurs.

5.       Most of all, the Southern Conference congratulates NLS Director Karen Keninger on her upcoming retirement. Under her leadership, NLS has achieved accomplishments too numerous to list in expanding content, making use of technology, and improving service to the network and its users. She has been a dedicated and approachable colleague to us all and will be greatly missed.

          NLS Response: NLS shares your sentiments.

Western Conference Resolutions 2020

1.       The Western Conference thanks NLS and congratulates them on making this conference happen online!

          NLS Response: You are welcome.

2.       The Western Regional Conference members commend NLS on updating their requirements for electronic signatures and accepting complete contact information for a certifying authority in lieu of a handwritten signature on an electronic application form.

          NLS Response: You are welcome.

3.       The Western Regional Conference members commend NLS for moving forward on a Marrakesh pilot and request the ability of libraries to share files or make those available in BARD and through duplication in the future.
NLS Response: NLS agrees and is working out the tools and logistics to implement this approach.

6.       The Western Conference commends NLS for updating the name to reflect a broader audience of readers.

          NLS Response: You are welcome.

7.       The Western Regional Conference members encourage NLS to improve search functionality and specificity in searching within BARD, as network libraries continue to promote this service and assist users of BARD.

NLS Response: NLS agrees and is currently working on search improvements. This first release will be primarily focused on improving the speed of the keyword search. Subsequent releases will focus on enhancements to the search tools themselves. Julia Kim, the product manager for BARD mobile, will be handling the use cases for the improved search. Library staff can send their suggestions to Julia at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or via their RTAG representatives.

8.       The Western Conference urges NLS to encourage Keystone, in supporting the request of the KLAS users, to create the functionality in KLAS that would allow libraries to fulfill patron orders from other states. WebREADS already has this capability and was exceedingly useful in the spring when libraries had to close. We believe that KLAS libraries and patrons should have this capacity as well.

NLS Response: NLS agrees that this capability would be highly beneficial for regional libraries and the patrons they serve. That said, the KLAS circulation system is not subject to control by NLS, and ultimately this is a business decision for Keystone Systems. NLS staff are in regular contact with Keystone's principals, and we will continue to express our support for this functionality. NLS encourages the libraries to discuss this priority with Keystone, perhaps via their user groups. NLS will support Keystone in any technical areas involving Library of Congress systems.

9.       The Western Conference commends NLS for making it easier for people with reading disabilities to register for services.

          NLS Response: You are welcome.

10.      The Western Conference requests that NLS provide comprehensive information on the purpose and function of the Regional Conferences and that NLS provide centralized lists of current and past officers, committee assignments, and documentation of shared interest among the Conferences for Network reference and instruction.

NLS Response: NLS does not have a comprehensive list of regional conference past assignments and offices. NLS will consider initiating an historical list beginning with current assignments. NLS does not have an official, comprehensive statement regarding the purpose and goals of the four regional conferences. NLS will develop such a statement in collaboration with the regional chairs. NLS needs clarification regarding the last portion of this request.

For more information, contact: