NLS Operations Alert
DATE : February 16, 2021
TO : Network Libraries
FROM : Meredith Beckhardt, Network Division
SUBJECT : FY2020 Annual surveys
NLS requests that each network library respond to the following five annual surveys in the Network Library Database (NLDB): Budget, Collections, Miscellaneous, Staffing, and Machine Repair. Surveys are due March 5, 2021. Budget survey responses should reflect your state’s fiscal year 2020, but responses to the Collections and Staffing surveys should reflect the status at the time the survey is submitted.
All responses on budget, staffing size, and space should be specific to the reporting library, (RL, SRL, AOC) and not a larger agency that may administer or house it.
Please note that all required fields are identified with an asterisk (*). If a required field is not applicable, enter a 0 (zero).
Prior to starting your surveys, please verify your library’s contact information in the NLDB “Library Information” tab. This year we ask Regional Libraries to specifically check the accuracy of the email address listed under Library Information à Contacts for Statistics à NLS queries for additional information on the NLS program (Helen). NLS routes inquiries from the public to this email address, so it is critical that the address you provide is one your library checks regularly.
Attached you will find the questions asked within each survey, which may assist you before logging into NLDB.
Steps to access NLDB via the new Network Library Services website:
1) Navigate to www.loc.gov/nls/network.
2) Click Log in to Network Library Services.
3) You will be presented with the SSO login screen. Sign in and follow the step for two-factor authentication.
4) Click the Agree button, and the Network Library Services website will display.
5) Select Network Library Database (NLDB), the first item in the Quick Links box.
6) Click the Log in With Your NLS ID button.
Please perform the following tasks within the NLDB:
1) Library Information tab: Ensure that all of your library’s contact information is up to date. This information is used by key resources throughout NLS.
2) Surveys tab: Complete the Budget survey.
3) Surveys tab: Complete the Collections survey.
4) Surveys tab: Complete the Miscellaneous survey.
5) Surveys tab: Complete the Staffing survey.
6) Surveys tab: Complete the Book Machine Repair survey.
Attachment: Advance Notice of NLDB Survey Questions [DOCX / 4 p.)
For more information, contact:
Meredith Beckhardt, Management Analyst