Nobody who was designing a metadata application profile from scratch would think up something like this.  The RDA elements Form of Work, Other Distinguishing Characteristic of Work, and Other Distinguishing Characteristic of Expression (miscellaneous categories if there ever were any) were created as places to accommodate information that had long been included in some access points, usually as single words or short phrases.  In the beginning they were terms that were only used when necessary to distinguish one work from another.

These categories were then reified as MARC fields.  It was probably wise that the latter two were combined into one field.  Then we had the idea to use controlled vocabularies in these fields, further obscuring the original purpose.

The problems begin with the fact that categories like “work” and “expression” don’t work very well with serials and series.  They are analogies, at best.  If catalogers begin working in Bibframe, as I hear they will, distinctions between work and expression are lost in that model anyway.  And if you really want to make your head spin, wait until you read part 2 of the Final Report of the LC-PCC Task Group on Aggregates in Beta RDA Toolkit.

When we’re describing something like a monographic series or a multipart monograph, we want to be able to say what the “thing” is.  It doesn’t matter whether we call it a work or expression.  Ideally, there would be just one place to put that information.  It could even be a fixed field.  Oh wait, we’ve had that for decades (008/12).  If we are going to use controlled vocabularies, the terms have to be used as they are defined in those vocabularies.  In LCSH the term “Series (Publications)” has the scope note “Here are entered works on publications issued as a sequence of narratives, published separately, often over a considerable period of time, mostly about the same characters and often written by one author.”  It applies to things like the Harry Potter books (as originally published) that are not treated as series for cataloging purposes, generally because they lack a collective title applying to the group as a whole.  This concept of series may be the one understood by the general public, especially in public libraries, and is the one used in LibraryThing, for example.  There the term “publisher series” is used for what we call monographic series, while publisher’s series has a much narrower definition for catalogers.  The point is that the LCSH term Series (Publications) is not a superclass for monographic series and multipart monographs, and it has no place in series authority records.

Just a week ago we had a PCC Virtual Meeting, and I think one of the themes was how inaccessible our systems are for those outside our monastic culture.  Making increasingly fine distinctions that few will understand and even fewer will remember how to apply will not make those systems more accessible, nor will they help one user find the resources they need.

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger

Langdell Hall 194

Harvard Law School Library