 ~~~ If they're describing different geographic entities, what's the
difference?

The major difference is a change in municipality jurisdiction in 1954 and
also later in 1994.

   - *Shenyang* was used between 1954-1993: City under the jurisdiction of
   Liaoning Province 1954
   - *Shenyang Shi *was used after 1994 and it is currently in use: City
   promoted to *a "sub-provincial city"* in 1994

So, I don't know if the two needs to be merged, but I think that may create
more issues or wiser NACO folks may need to do more research to untagle
these.

*Hsianghui Liu-Spencer (劉湘蕙)*
Cataloging & Digital Services Librarian
Laurence McKinley Gould Library, Carleton College
One North College Street
Northfield, MN55057
email account [log in to unmask]