Thank you so much, Christopher, for pointing me to the documentation.
And late on a Friday afternoon, no less!

Much obliged,
Margaret

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Christopher Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2021 4:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] BS191.5.A1 ...

The LC Classification and Shelflisting Manual says $b should precede the last capital letter.
https://www.loc.gov/aba/publications/FreeCSM/G070.pdf

It also says only the first Cutter number is preceded by a period.
https://www.loc.gov/aba/publications/FreeCSM/G055.pdf

Based on CSM, I would say #1 is correct:
BS191.5.A1 2010 |b N48

Christopher Thomas
Electronic Resources and Metadata Librarian
University of California, Irvine Law Library