 ~~~ If they're describing different geographic entities, what's the difference?

The major difference is a change in municipality jurisdiction in 1954 and also later in 1994.
  • Shenyang was used between 1954-1993: City under the jurisdiction of Liaoning Province 1954
  • Shenyang Shi was used after 1994 and it is currently in use: City promoted to a "sub-provincial city" in 1994
So, I don't know if the two needs to be merged, but I think that may create more issues or wiser NACO folks may need to do more research to untagle these.

Hsianghui Liu-Spencer (劉湘蕙)
Cataloging & Digital Services Librarian
Laurence McKinley Gould Library, Carleton College
One North College Street
Northfield, MN55057
email account [log in to unmask]