Dear PCC colleagues,
as Stephen Hearn mentioned earlier in one of the posts on this topic, PoCo is currently working on this issue and we would like to add some additional information here. There have been two task forces that addressed questions raised by this change in definition after LRM implementation.
The first report related to this issue was released by the LC-PCC Task Group on Element Labels in the Beta RDA Toolkit. The final report of this group is posted here.
The second report was issued recently by the Task Group on Coding for Non-RDA Entities in NARs. The final report of that task group is available here. This group was formed as an outcome of recommendation #8 of the element labels report. Both papers offer a very detailed and thoughtful analysis of the issues being raised.
Please keep in mind that the recommendations made in these reports have not yet been endorsed by PoCo. We will be working on specific guidelines and recommendations based on these reports and will share them with the PCC community once they have been finalized. However, I will share that the general direction of our current thinking is to continue to create authorities for fictitious and non-human entities in the name authority file and record them in the bibliographic record using a relationship that does not imply that this is an entity that is part of the Official RDA.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to reaffirm that the implementation date of the Official RDA for the PCC will not begin before July 2022. Please feel free to continue to use the Official RDA for training and study, but continue to use the original RDA toolkit for PCC cataloging.

Best regards,
Melanie
(on behalf of PoCo)
Melanie Wacker
Metadata Coordinator
Original and Special Materials Cataloging
Columbia University Libraries
New York, N.Y.
(212) 854 9676