From: Faranda, Matthew
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2021 2:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Books about the acoustic era

Hey folks,

I'm still brand new to the list so apologies if something like this has been
asked before. I am currently researching American pop music of the acoustic
era and I've found that in general histories of recorded sound, the acoustic
era is often treated as a footnote to everything that came after it. For
those who focus on that period, could you please recommend what your
indispensable list of books about recording production and history during
the acoustic era are?  (Meaning not straight discogs or catalogs, per se.)
I'm looking for info more about the production side rather than the
recording personalities (although there is of course overlap in many cases.)
I am a classically trained musician with a background in music history
(albeit medieval studies) so please don't be afraid to suggest more
technical works. Thanks so much in advance!

P.S. If there is anyone with a copy of "Recording the Twenties" by Allan
Sutton they'd be willing to part with, I really would like to read it but
can't seem to get my hands on a copy!

Kind Regards,
Matthew Faranda
Visual Arts Division
Office of Registration Policy & Practice
United States Copyright Office
101 Independence Avenue SE
Washington, DC  20559-6222