PS. The last printing/edition of both books was 1977. Look for those. The Gelatt paperback with the red cover is the last one, as are the yellow-covered paperback and hard cover editions of Reed and Welch.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Gary A. Galo
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 6:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] [EXTERNAL] Re: [ARSCLIST] Books about the acoustic era

The authors of From Tin Foil to Stereo are Oliver Reed and Walter Welch, published by Howard W. Sams. Finding a copy of the paperback reprint that doesn’t have many pages falling out might be difficult - look for a hard-cover edition. Roland Gelatt's book is The Fabulous Phonograph, published by MacMillan (the original hard-cover edition was Cassell in London).

Some of the research in both books is now dated, but they are still worthwhile. Gelatt is more general and a very enjoyable read. Reed and Welch is much more detailed and pretty dense. There are copies of both on eBay.

Best,
Gary