Here are a few late additions to the publications already mentioned, some by members of this list. This bibliography, mainly focused on cultural and social history, was compiled in the early 2000’s; thus, recent and other subject-oriented references might be missing:

Batten, Joe. Joe Batten’s Book. The story of sound recording. Being the memoirs of Joe Batten, recording manager. London: Rockliff, 1956.

Bryant, Erich T. « The Gramophone Society Movement : A History of the gramophone societies in Britain, including their links with public libraries », Queen's University, 1972.

Chanan, Michael. Repeated takes. A short history of recording and its effects on music. London/New York: Verso, 1995.

Day, Timothy. A Century of recorded music. Listening to musical history. New Haven, London: Yale University Press, 2000.

Dearling, Celia, Dearling Robert et al. The Guiness book of recorded sound. Enfield: Guiness Book, 1984.

Edge, Ruth and Leonard Petts. The collector's guide to "His Master's Voice" Nipper souvenirs. E.M.I. Groupe Archive Trust, 1997.

Frith, Simon. « The Making of the British record industry, 1920-1964 » In Impacts and influences, ed. James Curran, 278-290. London:Methuen, 1987.

Gronow, Pekka and Ilpo Saunio. An International History of the Recording Industry. London: Cassell, 1998.

Harvith, John and Susan E. Harvith, ed. Edison, musicians, and the phonograph. A century in retrospect. New York/Westport, CT/London: Greenwood Press, 1987.

Katz, Mark. « Making America more musical through the phonograph, 1900-1930 » American Music 16, n° 4 (1998): 448-475.

Kenney, William Howland Recorded Music in American Life. The Phonograph and Popular Memory, 1890-1945. New York/Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.

Le Mahieu, D. L. « The Gramophone : recorded music and the cultivated mind in Britain between the wars » Technology and culture 23, n° 3, juillet (1982).

Mackenzie, Compton. My record of music. London: Hutchinson, 1955.

Martland, Peter. Since records began : E.M.I., the first 100 years. London: B.T. Batsford, 1997.

Miller, Russel and Roger Boar. The incredible music machine. London: Quartet, 1982.

Milner, Greg. Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music.London: Granta, 2009.

Moore, Jerrold Northrop. A voice in time : The gramophone of Fred Gaisberg, 1873-1951. London: Hamish Hamilton, 1976.

Morton, David. Sound recording: the life story of a technology. Johns Hopkins Paperbacks. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006.

Philip, Robert Early recordings and musical style : changing tastes in instrumental performances : 1900-1950. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992.

Sterne, Jonathan. The Audible Past. Cultural Origins of Sound Reproduction. Durham & London: Duke University Press, 2003.

Taylor, Timothy D., Mark Katz, and Tony Grajeda, ed. Music, Sound, and Technology in America: A Documentary History of Early Phonograph, Cinema, and Radio. Durham: Duke University Press, 2012.

Thompson, Emily. « Machines, music, and the quest for fidelity:Marketing the Edison phonograph in America, 1877-1925 » Musical Quarterly 79, n° 1 (1995): 131-171.

Best,

Sophie MAISONNEUVE
PhD. History & Civilizations
Associate professor in sociology