Yes, there are libraries that collect this material.  I would post your
query to the email list of the Music Library Association, MLA-L.  You can
subscribe here:

https://pilot.list.indiana.edu/sympa/info/mla-l

Some information that could help libraries decide whether to take this
music is:

1) what kind of music is it?  You say dance band, but depending on the
period that could be any number of styles (country, swing, jazz, ordinary
pop, etc.)
2) How much is there?  You say a plastic tub - just one?  Can the person
supply photographs of the material?

My guess is that more local or state libraries would be the best bet.
Something like University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign which has a good
music department.

Good luck.

Bob Kosovsky, Ph.D. -- Librarian, Rare Books and Manuscripts,
Music & Recorded Sound Division
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts - Dorothy and Lewis B.
Cullman Center

40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023

www.nypl.org