[Apologies for cross-posting]

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

The 91st Annual Meeting of the Music Library Association is currently
scheduled to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah, March 2–6, 2022. The MLA
Program Committee
<https://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/members/group.aspx?id=219116> invites
proposals for program content until 11:59pm PDT on Sunday, June 6, 2021.

The Music Library Association Annual Meeting is open to anyone with an
interest in music and performing arts libraries, archives, collections, or
librarianship. We encourage proposals that are topically or practically
relevant to these areas; see Selection Criteria below for particular topics
of interest. We welcome proposals from library, archives, and information
technology professionals, students, faculty, and others, regardless of MLA
membership. We especially encourage proposals from individuals from
communities underrepresented and/or marginalized in library work and in
society as a whole.

PROPOSAL TYPES

Sessions are 25, 55, or 85 minutes in length and can be in person, remote,
or hybrid. Poster presentations take place within a specified conference
time. Session types include:

   -

   Presentation (individual, joint, or panel)
   -

   Plenary presentation (individual, joint, or panel). Plenaries are always
   85 minutes in length. No other meetings, sessions, etc. are scheduled
   during plenaries. The content of plenaries should be of broad interest to
   Annual Meeting attendees.
   -

   Interactive presentation (significant audience engagement via an
   interactive, hands-on, or discussion-based component; can be individual
   presenter(s) or panel)
   -

   Town Hall (open discussion forum for topics of urgent interest to
   attendees)
   -

   Poster presentation
   -

   Other type of sessions not mentioned above

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

   -

   An abstract is required and should be no longer than 3000 characters (not
   words).
   -

   Provide the names and email addresses of all known presenters.
   -

   Any individual may participate as a presenter in up to two sessions
   total (individual, group, or poster). Please apply as a presenter for no
   more than two sessions. This limitation does not apply to session moderators
   or participants in scheduled committee business meetings and interest group
   meetings.
   -

   Sessions at this MLA Annual Meeting are for the educational benefit of
   attendees; proposals promoting or selling products or services will not be
   accepted.

SELECTION CRITERIA

MLA Annual Meeting proposals are reviewed by members of the Program
Committee. Proposals will be selected on the strength of their abstracts,
based on these criteria:

   -

   The main points of your session
   -

   Relevance to attendees
   -

   How your proposal is unique or different from others that may address
   the same topic
   -

   How presenter(s) will engage the audience
   -

   Learning objectives, goals, or outcomes

Special consideration will be given to proposals:

   -

   Submitted by first-time presenters
   -

   Addressing new or emerging areas of music librarianship
   -

   Fostering cross-disciplinary collaboration
   -

   Relating to the most requested topics in the 2021 MLA post-conference
   survey:
   -

      Diversity, equity, and inclusion
      -

      Critical librarianship

The Program Committee will evaluate proposals as anonymous submissions
except in cases where the identity of presenters is a vital part of the
proposal. The Program Committee will additionally strive to select a
balance of proposals reflecting the range of institutions (academic,
public, special, etc.), specializations (cataloging/metadata, archives,
information literacy, collection development, etc.), and audiences
(librarians, archivists, paraprofessionals, students and emerging
professionals, retirees, etc.) represented at our Annual Meetings.

SESSION DISCUSSION SPREADSHEET

The Program Committee has created a public spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j7TevpxJAIwDRzjSSUhBS4aPUXn5ysF2as4kRJWsUtw/edit?usp=sharing>
allow sharing of proposal ideas and to connect potential collaborators. The
spreadsheet is an informal tool, and the information in it will not be used
by the Committee in evaluating program proposals. The spreadsheet is also
available on the Annual Meeting website.

PROPOSAL SUBMISSION

Proposals must be submitted online via the Annual Meeting website
<http://conferences.blog.musiclibraryassoc.org/call-for-proposals/>.

PLEASE NOTE

While we are currently planning an in-person meeting for March 2022, we
recognize the possibility that the 2022 Annual Meeting may ultimately take
place in an entirely virtual or a hybrid format. In the event of a change
in format, updated information will be communicated to the presenters and
the MLA membership as a whole.

A separate call for Community Choice proposals will occur in August 2021.
Instead of being selected by the Program Committee, Community Choice
presentations are selected in an open voting process announced on the MLA
listserv.

A separate call for business meeting room requests is forthcoming.

We look forward to your proposals! Please feel free to contact me with
questions.

Sincerely,

Peter Shirts, Emory University

Program Committee Chair, 2022 Annual Meeting