It’s a strange kind of alternative title, because it’s actually only an explication of the word Aesthetik.  All of the uses of the word “der” in the title are in the genitive case.  It translates as “Outline of aesthetics, or of the philosophy of beauty and of fine art.”

The title at the head of page 1 of the 1837 publication is “Aesthetik oder Philosophie des Schönen und der schönen Kunst.“

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger

Langdell Hall 194

Harvard Law School Library