There's also the problem that there's no way I know of to control serial title access points from a serial bib record.

Maybe I've got this all wrong. Corrections are welcome.

Stephen

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 1:20 PM Adam L Schiff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Agreeing with Bob, in RDA, an access point for a work must be unique.  If your access point does not match the access point on the serial record, they probably need to be put in synch, so the same access point probably needs to be added to the serial record.

Adam

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
(206) 543-8409

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Robert Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Question about triage for conflicting serial titles

Not speaking for CONSER—possibly there are special rules for this—but as a general PCC/NACO rule for authorized access points (which is what we’re talking about), the authorized access point needs to be qualified if it conflicts with another even if no conflicting access point has been established yet in the NAF. I.e., if my proposed access point would conflict with that of another work that I know about—either through looking through the bibliographic file, or from reference sources, I need to qualify it even if nobody has yet established that other work in the NAF. This is not the same as anticipating a conflict. When I anticipate a conflict I think to myself “hmm, this might conflict in the future with something, it’s such a common title, but I haven’t actually discovered such a conflict”—but this is not the same thing. In this case (your case) you already know of at least one other work that conflicts (and will cause a conflicting AAP). So the AAP for your work should be established in the NAF (or entered in the bib record if you’re not making an NAR) with a qualifier.

I would think this would apply to serial works as well as any other works. If you know of a title that would produce a conflict in your AAP with any work (and it doesn’t have to be a serial, it can be a monograph, or for that matter the name of any other entity such as a corporate body) you should qualify the AAP.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University