Hi PCC List,

I am hoping for some help with a NAR decision.

The publication that has been provided to me can be found here: https://www.societyofmaryusa.org/todays-marist/

Usages of the name in the publication include:

Marists, Society of Mary in the U.S. -- cover
The Marist Fathers and Brothers of the United States Province -- cover verso
Society of Mary in the U.S. (The Marists) -- cover verso
Society of Mary. Marists in the U.S. -- page 3, logo

The Society of Mary United States Province official website is located here: https://www.societyofmaryusa.org/
The provincial body is referred to on the official U.S. website mostly as:
Society of Mary, U.S. Province
and
The Marist Fathers and Brothers of the U.S. Province

The official website of the main international body is located here: https://www.maristsm.org

And this body calls itself:
The Society of Mary, Marist Fathers and Brothers

Additionally, the "About" page on the main Society of Mary website (https://www.maristsm.org/about/) gives this information:

The original dream for the Marist Family consisted of one religious congregation and a lay branch. However, that dream was unrealizable.
Today, when people speak of the �Marist Family�, they are referring to four separate religious congregations and the lay branch:
� Marist Fathers and Brothers (SM),
� Marist Brothers (FMS),
� Marist Sisters (SM),
� Missionary Sisters of the Society of Mary (SMSM)
� Marist Laity.

The entity we are working with is part of the same organization that has been established previously as "Marist Fathers" (LCCN: n  88183187), and I have found an entry in the Official Catholic Directory (2005) for the entity under that name : [0780] (S.M.) Marist Fathers.

We have also asked and been informed that the entity we are working with is separate and has not merged with another established organization, "Marist Brothers" (LCCN: n  80141987). The Marist Brothers also have a separate entry in the Official Catholic Dictionary (2005): [0770]  (F.M.S.) The Marist Brothers. There is a 670 on the NAR for Marist Fathers that names the Marist lay brothers as a part of the Marist Fathers organization.

The entity we are working with is also separate from another "Society of Mary", established in the NAF as "Marianists" (LCCN: n  79040177 ; Official Catholic Dictionary entry [0760] (S.M.) Society of Mary)

The Wikipedia page for the organization states, "The Society of Mary (Marists), commonly known as simply the Marist Fathers, is an international Roman Catholic religious congregation, founded by Father Jean-Claude Colin and a group of other seminarians in Lyon, France, in 1816."

This information was also cited in 2017 for the second 670 in the NAR for the Marist Fathers New Zealand Province:
Wikipedia WWW site, viewed on May 4, 2017: Society of Mary (Marists) page (The Society of Mary (Marists), commonly known as simply the Marist Fathers; operates in 7 Provinces: Australia, Canada, Europe, Mexico, New Zealand, Oceania, USA)

There is evidence that the conventional name by which this organization's members are known in English is "Marist Fathers." Based on RDA 11.2.2.5.4 and the associated PS for religious orders, this NAR seems like it could be appropriate.

However, there is also the name that the body currently uses on websites and official publications that seems different enough to represent a change of name: Marist Fathers and Brothers.

Should a new NAR for the U.S. Province be established as a subordinate body based on the existing name for the body, "Marist Fathers" -- as has been done for the New Zealand and Australian Provinces?

Or should two new NARs be established: one for the international body with a name change ("Marist Fathers and Brothers"), and a second subordinately to that one for the U.S. Province? Or another option?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide!
Julie

Julie Dyles Darken
Head, Monographs Cataloging / Assistant Head, Cataloging Dept.
Main Library
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602