Not going to focus on the institution, but the wage level in general.

Are wages that low in the U.S.?

Here 15 USD is about 12.70 EUR. Here a supermarket worker would earn either
a little under this figure (or over it -- depends on the exact working
relationship/number of years work). Add to this uphike for working at
evenings/nights/weekends/public holiday. Plus, Finland is thought by many
to have a "high" tax rate -- dependent on your tax class -- but we don't
have to then pay for expensive healthcare insurance. Employers and
employees pay a proportion of tax to cover healthcare and social costs such
as unemployment funds and the like. People don't get made bankrupt here
over healthcare bills, or the very small "co-pay" we had. For example, I
had a double lung transplant a few years ago - my co-pay was a few hundred
euros for the hospital stay. Each year my co-pay ceiling for medicine (that
costs thousands of euros each time) is under 700 euros a year.

Over here our librarians and archivists feel they have a low pay rate, but
it is not as low as this indicative rate. I get the point about budgets
being limited and that "something is better than nothing" but still...

Darren Ingram

‌