NLS Operations Alert No. 21-64


DATE         :   September 02, 2021             

TO             :   Network Libraries

FROM        :   Donna Koh, Overseas Librarian

SUBJECT  :   Requirements for patrons moving overseas


Library patrons who plan to live abroad for longer than six months must transfer to the NLS overseas service. Eligibility requirements for overseas service are different than library service within the US. While all eligible US residents can access our library service within the US, only eligible US citizens who supply proof of citizenship and eligible non-citizens who are dependents of active-duty military or diplomatic personnel may receive service outside the US. Proof of citizenship, such as a passport or a copy of a US birth certificate showing their place of birth, is required for new patrons applying for the overseas service and current patrons who are transferring.


Patrons residing overseas for longer than six months may not continue using NLS services, including BARD, without first transferring to overseas service.


To transfer patrons to the overseas service, email the completed patron transfer form to [log in to unmask] and initiate a transfer in your circulation system. If the transferring patron has a BARD account, initiate a transfer in the patron’s BARD account. The library code for the overseas program is LC*3. 


Please contact the overseas librarian, Donna Koh, at [log in to unmask] with any questions.


For more information, contact:

Donna Koh

Overseas Librarian

[log in to unmask]