This is a new twist on an old problem. LC has a long history of disregarding maintenance for some of its name headings. NACO participants are advised not to report bib file maintenance (BFM) for catalog headings marked "[from old catalog]" on LC bib records. In my reading, LC is trying to document a pragmatic fact--that it cannot keep up with the maintenance demands which ideal conformance with its policies would entail.

The proposed solution is flawed, though. As Adam points out, the authority for the old term is left coded as an established heading (008/09=a), fully established 008/33=a) and appropriate for subject use (008/15=a), which in most normal processing would outweigh the limiting instruction in a 667 note. It would be better if the coding were more appropriate to this awkward situation. For example, the "150 Oceanians" authority could be recoded to:

008/09 = c, untraced reference from an unestablished heading, maybe "260 $i Use $a Pacific Islanders. $i Maintenance changes to the old heading $a Oceanians $i are suspended in LC's catalog."
008/33 = n, not applicable
008/15 = b, not appropriate for subject use

There may be a better alternative set of codes. This suggestion also assumes that LC has a system which could make good use of these obscure authority fields, which may be naive on my part.

Stephen