***Please excuse cross-posting***
Metadata Operations Specialist
University Libraries seeks a temporary Metadata Operations Specialist
to support the Audio and Moving Image Preservation Mellon grant. Using
discretion and independent judgement, the Metadata Operations Specialist
will provide operational support in maintaining cataloging and metadata
records management. This is a full-time temporary position ending on
3/31/22 (with possibility of extension).
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Libraries
- Grade: Grade 10
- Categories: Libraries
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Hours Per Week: 35 hours per week
- Salary Range: Minimum salary $58,500
- Maintain and create cataloging and metadata records for digital resources in a variety of formats, e.g. audio recordings and moving images, using established library cataloging standards, assignment of subject headings using Library of Congress subject headings or FAST, etc.
- Performs quality review and remediation for metadata for digital resources in a variety of formats, e.g., audio recordings, and moving images; remediation of existing metadata records, normalization of creator names in metadata records against the Library of Congress Name Authority File.
- Assists with quality control, maintenance of procedures and contributes to reports for the Mellon Corporation. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent related experience required.
- A minimum of 0-2 years of related experience or relevant coursework.
- Relevant work experience in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude for working with emerging technologies.
- Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems.
- In depth knowledge of metadata format and content standards.
- Working knowledge of cataloging standards and procedures (RDA, MODS, MARC 21, LCSH, FAST).
- Demonstrated aptitude for complex, analytical and detailed work.
Timothy Ryan Mendenhall (he/him/his)
Columbia University Libraries
Original and Special Materials Cataloging
102 Butler Library
535 West 114th Street
New York, NY 10027